Monday, May 16, 2016

Fables For Living In A New World Economy: Chapter Four Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

     Once upon a time, not so very far from now, the widowed father of a young woman married a very selfish and evil woman. The woman was so evil that when her new husband took ill, she refused to send for the doctor or to allow any of the servants to care for him. And so he died and she inherited his castle, his land, his livestock, and most important --his money. Now her only problem was ro rid herself of his daughter.
     She allowed the girl only the clothes on her back. The only food the girl ate was whatever she could forage in the nearby woods. Whenever the girl asked for a little money for either a new dress or for something to eat, the wicked stepmother replied, 'A more intelligent and industrious girl would pick apples from the orchard and sell those in town to make some money. You reap what you sow, my dear, you reap what you sow.'
     And so the girl went into the orchard with a basket and started picking apples. However, she was so weak from hunger she soon felt the need for a nap and fell quickly asleep  under the trees. Soon, a troupe of dwarfs walked nearby and spotted the young maiden. she appeared so perfectly beautiful, the decided to make certain she was alive.
     The one they called Doc found a pulse and declared her alive. However, try as they might, the dwarfs could not wake her. concerned for her health and safety, they carried her to their cottage and placed her on one of the beds.
     When she woke, she didn't know where she was nor who her hosts were and was frightened. They assured her they meant no harm and one of them brought her a bowl of beef broth and spoon fed the broth to her.
    'Why were you sleeping in the orchard, Miss?'
    'Snow White. My name is Snow White.'
    'So tell us, Snow White, why were you sleeping beneath an apple tree?'
    'I was picking apples to sell in town to get money for food when suddenly I couldn't hold my eyes open. I decided to take a quick nap.'
    'You must have been exhausted. And hungry, too, judging by how quickly you emptied this bowl of broth.'
    'Don't you have a family to look after you?'
    'My father died, so all I have is a stepmother. I think she'd be happier if I joined my father.'
    'Doesn't she care for you and feed you?'
    'No. she told me if I wanted food or a new dress I should pick apples and sell them in town.'
    'We know a better way to accumulate wealth than that. Are you interested in know our secret?'
    'Oh, yes! Please tell me.'
    'This isn't for everybody, you understand. Not everyone is willing--'
    'Will your secret also get me away from my wicked stepmother?'
    'It can indeed. If you do what we tell you.'
    'Tell me. I want to know your secret more than anything --well, almost. Getting away from the stepmother tops my list.'
    'All right, then, here's what you do' Find Out What The Dwarfs Told Snow White Here
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment